Sunday, February 27, 2011

Purpose

I am a firm believer that college is not for everyone. I am also a firm believer that college is the place where you find out what your purpose is in life. Now that my sound like I am playing two sides but it's just how I feel. Even though I became a college student later in life, college has gave me a chance to shape and mold my purpose in life. Since I have decided to continue my education and enter the Master's program for school counseling I am truly excited. Being a school counselor hopefully will open doors for me in a way that I can't imagine. Let me be clear, I want to help young minorities see there full potential. I can remember being in high school and my counselor judging me. Instead of understanding my situation and guiding me, he looked at my situation and used it against me.
It took years for me to see and understand that him judging me was not something that i should have internalized. It was something that he needed to deal with, it was his problem. From that point I made it my vow to get a higher education so that I can go back to my community and help young men and women like myself. Now, the path on becoming a school counselor is not a easy one. Each school that I would like to apply to all want different things, San Francisco State University wants three psychology classes and you have to pass the CBEST before APPLYING!!! and Cal State East Bay wants five psychology classes, CBEST,GRE and a counseling class. O MY! did i pick the right career! I have to laugh and say YES I DID! Something that is going to be great is worth the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment